- What can be rewarded? What kinds of behavior does the designer want to incentivize and what are the different options. Goal is to give Players a set of meaningful choices and a set of options that make the game feel more engaging
- Categories of rewards
Cognitive Evaluation Theory is a theory in Psychology that is designed to explain the effects of external consequences on internal motivation. Specifically, CET is a sub-theory of Self-Determination Theory that focus on competence and autonomy while examining how intrinsic motivation is affected by external forces
- Tangible/intangible – physical things vs. things that are not real in any physical sense (e.g. money or physical badges vs. status or verbal reward)
- Expected/unexpected – e.g. performing a certain number of tasks for a reward vs. a reward occurring randomly (surprise)
- Task non-contingent – You get the reward no matter what; you do not need to do anything for the reward
- Engagement-contingent – You get the reward when you start a task
- Completion-contingent – You get the reward when you finish the task
- Performance-contingent – You get the reward if you do the task well
Example: Samsung Nation.
- Cruise Badge – reward for hanging out on the site for a certain amount of time.
- Quest Badge – reward for completing a quest
- Completion- contingent
- Master Angler title for Fishing
- Catch 1000 Fish title for Fishing