Motivation is a psychological feature that arouses an organism to act towards a desired goal and elicits, controls, and sustains certain goal directed behaviors. It can be considered a driving force; a psychological drive that compels or reinforces an action toward a desired goal.
Motivation for people to do something does not necessary involve rewards.
- The MLB.com badges started by Major League Baseball in 2011
- Motivate people to watch baseball by issuing badges
- Computer stores
- Motivate people to buy computers by pricing the computers afford-ably
- Motivate people to buy more computers by making it easy for them to compare prices
- Apple store
- Motivate people to hang around and understand the products more and end up buying more by making the store comfortable with display sets to play with
Questions to ask in developing a gamified service:
- What motivates?
- Is it the right kind of motivation?
- Is it enough?
We need to be aware of the different forms of motivation and know when to use the different techniques.